Thursday, December 10, 2015

On The Other Side

“Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death,
I will fear not evil, for thou art with me…” Psalm 23:4 (KJ)

     Dreams often simply replay the events of our days. Sometimes, though, they have a definite purpose. I have kept a dream journal for over thirty years and have learned that dreams have three purposes:
  •       They alert us to unresolved conflicts.
  •      They bring peace and healing.
  •       They predict.

     What? Predict? Does that still happen today? Yes, it does. Call it premonition. Call it warning from God.  Whatever you believe, a dream can prepare you—and later comfort you—for an event in your life. 
      It was about ten years ago, before there were any grandchildren in our life. In my dream,  I was travelling with my husband, Tom and a four year old grandson. We drove along a highway, where I noticed a sign with one word: EAST. Tom pulled over, under cover of an overpass, alongside an embankment and stated, “I’m going to climb over and explore.” I didn’t like the looks of the area; it seemed dark and foreboding. “I’ll stay in the car,” I answered.
     After a little while, I changed my mind; and my grandson and I  climbed over the embankment too We descended into a valley, sort of spooky and somewhat dark, but also very beautiful. There were trees, walking trails, and a river. We climbed down a hillside and came to the edge of the river. We looked across and there was Tom standing ON THE OTHER SIDE. I felt peaceful. It was OK.
     Then I spoke to the boy with me. “Let’s cross over. It doesn’t look too deep.” We placed our toes in the water and then stepped back when we saw Hammer Head sharks of brilliant colors swimming in the shallow water. “I guess we can’t get to the other side,” I commented, still feeling at peace. We decided to walk up the nature trail a ways. We sat down on a boulder. Then I saw two friends approaching. I waved and tried to call out to them. I couldn’t make my voice work. Then I awoke.
     A few years later, our first grandchild was born. I remembered the dream. Aw, but this grandchild was a girl. Whew! The dream must not have been a prediction. Two more years and a grandson was born. By this time, I barely gave the dream a thought, though it was recorded in my dream journal. Then in January, 2014 Tom was diagnosed with liver cancer! By now, Tom and I were parenting our two grandchildren. One night, I lay in bed with active thoughts.  My youngest brother, Jeff had died unexpectantly  in January 2013. My brother Chris was battling cancer of the lung wall. And now Tom had cancer! We were certainly in the Valley of the Shadow of Death. Suddenly, my dream rushed back into my mind. Oh my goodness! My grandson, Zach is four years old!
How strange that my dream involved a four year old grandson, walking with me through this valley. How strange that my two friends were in the valley too, for at the same time that I went through my losses, they each experiences heartbreaking losses. This dream was certainly predictive. It was purposeful that the dream had Tom “on the other side”. After Tom died, I found a tape with a recording of a song he wrote:

On the other side
On the other side
I’ve a home in glory
One the other side

When my life is done
When my life is done
I will see my Savior
On the other side

There’ll be no more tears
There’ll be no more tears
There’ll be no one crying
On the other side

There’ll be no more pain
There’ll be no more pain
There’ll be no one suffering
On the other side

There’ll be no more death
There’ll be no more death
There’ll be no one dying
On the other side

Someone’s waiting there
Someone’s waiting there
I have friends and family
On the other side

    We played Tom’s recording of this song at the close of his memorial service. It holds so much comfort for me. The dream, the song…they tie together with a comforting message. I think God knew I needed that prediction because it would make the message of the Tom's song so much more real. After Tom's death, I puzzled about one other detail in the dream: Why was there a roadside sign with the one word, EAST? Then I remembered a scripture:

                        "For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west,
                         so will the coming of the Son of Man" (Matthew 24:27, NIV)

     With the coming of the Son of Man, comes the resurrection. Then we'll see Tom again.



No comments: